Open House @ Brighton Dome is a curated open submissions exhibition, open to all artists exhibiting in the Artists Open Houses festival. It is a showcase for some of the most exciting work from artists exhibiting in the Artists Open Houses.
This year the Open House @ Brighton Dome exhibition will be shown in Brighton Dome’s Founder’s Room, a central and prestigious location providing a great opportunity for Artists Open Houses artists in 2013.
Submissions are invited from artists and makers working in all media, including painting, sculpture, photography, video, textiles, jewellery, ceramics, etc.
Although artists are invited to respond to the Open House @ Brighton Dome theme of Interior Landscapes, work in media not directly applicable to this theme is also welcome for consideration by the House Open curators.
Interior Landscapes reflects both the theme of Brighton Festival’s Guest Artistic Director, Michael Rosen’s, theme of Loss and Disappearance and the Domestic Landscape in the work of lead artist for HOUSE 2013, Mariele Nuedecker.
Nicola Coleby - Creative Programmer, The Royal Pavilion
Katy Norris - Assistant Curator, Pallant House Gallery, Chichester
Clare Sheppeard - Freelance Curator
The exhibition will be given full coverage in the Artists Open Houses brochure and website as well as being referenced in the Brighton Festival and HOUSE 2013 brochures and websites.
Exhibiting artists’ work will be clearly signed to direct visitors to view more of the artist’s work in the Open Houses in which they are exhibiting.
A range of artists, both established and emerging will be brought together in this prominent central Brighton venue and hub of Brighton Festival. Selected work will be shown in the Founders Room throughout the May festival period.
The exhibition will run from 10.00 – 5.00 Tuesdays - Sundays, 4th May - 26th May 2013 (The Dome may be closed on some days during the festival for other events.)
Deadline for submissions: 3rd March 2013
£600 Artist of the Year Award: Open to all exhibiting artists and makers, the winning artist will be awarded a prize of £600 and will become the Artists Open Houses Artist of the Year. They will be invited to provide the artwork for the following year’s AOH brochure cover and accompanying publicity materials.
Visitors Choice Prize: VisitBrighton will be sponsoring a ‘Visitors Choice’ prize. The winning artist’s work will be shown in a dedicated gallery section of the VisitBrighton website throughout the coming year and VisitBrighton will offer other promotional opportunities for the artist.
Conditions of entry
- Submitted work can be in any medium, including ceramics, jewellery, textiles, painting, sculpture, print making, applied arts, moving image, performance, sound, installation etc.
- A one-paragraph artist’s statement (500 words max) to include a short reference to your training/art background.
- A maximum of 5 screen resolution images of work/s you wish to enter (max individual files size 1Mb). Materials and dimensions and price of work should be stated on the registration form.
- In the exceptional case of moving image entries only, DVD’s (x3) may be supplied to the address below.
- In the event of selection, all artists are responsible for providing the equipment necessary to display the work, eg plinth with secure case top, vitrine, cabinet, monitor and DVD player for film projection. All cases must be floor standing or be able to be hung on the walls. Please specify dimensions of display cases and whether they are plinths or wall mounted.
- Two-dimensional work must be framed and suitably backed. Clip and metal frames will not be accepted. All hooks, screws and other projections must be removed before submission.
- All selected work will be installed by the gallery staff.
- All selected artists will be required to undertake two three-hour periods of invigilation during the exhibition period. This gives artists the opportunity to invite friends and clients and discuss their work. There will also be a Private View at the start of show.
Artists are responsible for the insurance of their work. The exhibition organisers cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage to work. Selected artists must agree to images of their selected work being used for the purposes of promoting the Open House @ Brighton Dome exhibition in any publicity materials, if required. The information provided will also be given in the Artists Open Houses brochure and website.
There is an entry fee of £20 per artist, to be paid online when registering your entry. The entry fee is non-returnable if the work is not selected. (Please note that no further fees will be required for selected work)
If submitting DVDs please send three copies to:
Open House @ Brighton Dome,
6 Clifton Street, Brighton, BN1 3PH
Entries must be received no later than 3rd March 2012